6 Legal Ways to Obtain a Work Permit or PR in Canada

Want your Canadian dream to become a reality? Then there are the 6 legal pathways to getting a work permit or PR in Canada.

1.LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment)

To hire a foreign worker, Canadian firms may need to acquire a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). With the LMIA, employers can be guaranteed that recruiting foreign workers won’t have a detrimental effect on the Canadian labor market.

2. Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

The Canadian government collaborates with its provinces and territories to offer the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), which is an immigration program. The PNP enables provinces and territories to suggest immigrants who have the knowledge, training, and experience needed to boost their respective economies.

There are different eligibility requirements and selection procedures for the PNP in each province or territory. For those who don’t qualify for other federal immigration programmes like the Federal Skilled Worker Program or the Canadian Experience Class, the PNP is a crucial route to permanent residence in Canada. Successful candidates are given a Provincial Nomination Certificate, which can hasten the process of applying for Canadian permanent residence.

A PNP is a popular option for individuals who want to settle in a specific province or territory of Canada and have the skills and experience required by the local labor market.

3. Intra Company Transfer (ICT)

The Canadian government provides the Intra Company Transfer (ICT) work permit, which enables foreign companies to transfer their employees to a related Canadian company. A foreign company’s key employees with specialized knowledge, skills, and experience can more easily transfer to its Canadian affiliate, subsidiary, or branch , thanks to the ICT.

The foreign worker must be coming to Canada to carry out similar duties for the Canadian company and must have been employed by the foreign company for at least one year prior to the transfer in order to qualify for an ICT. The Canadian company must also show that a foreign employee is required for its Canadian operations.

The ICT is a short-term work permit that can be obtained for up to three years. However, the permit is extendable for a total of five years or an additional two years. The foreign worker will then have to decide whether to leave Canada or apply for permanent residence under other immigration schemes.

Companies with global operations that need to temporarily relocate key personnel to Canada should consider the ICT. It enables businesses to continue operating continuously in Canada while giving foreign workers chances to gain beneficial work experience there.

4. Owner Operator Work Permit (OOWP)

The Owner-Operator Work Permit is a type of work permit that grants foreign business owners the opportunity to enter Canada to operate their own businesses. This work permit is intended to enable foreign entrepreneurs to establish and manage a business in Canada while making a significant contribution to the Canadian economy.

To qualify for an Owner Operator Work Permit, the foreign entrepreneur must hold a controlling interest in the Canadian business they will be managing, usually by owning a minimum of 50% of the business. The business should be a new or existing enterprise that is actively involved in the Canadian economy and has the potential to create job opportunities for Canadians.

The Owner-Operator Work Permit is temporary and typically issued for a duration of 12 to 24 months. After this time, the business owner must leave Canada or apply for permanent residency through other immigration programs.

The Owner-Operator Work Permit is an advantageous option for foreign entrepreneurs who are interested in managing their own businesses in Canada. This permit permits them to enter Canada, take an active role in the Canadian economy, gain valuable business experience, and contribute to the growth of the Canadian economy.

5. Federal Skilled Work Permit Canada (FSWP)

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is a program that helps skilled workers with experience in certain occupations to move to Canada as permanent residents. To qualify, applicants must have language proficiency in either English or French, work experience in a skilled occupation, and educational qualifications. The applicants are assessed based on a point system, which takes into account language skills, work experience, education, age, and adaptability to the Canadian job market.

Successful applicants receive permanent residency, which allows them to live and work anywhere in Canada and access many of the same benefits and services as Canadian citizens. The FSWP is a great opportunity for skilled workers who want to move to Canada and make a valuable contribution to the country’s economy.

6. Express Entry

Express Entry is an online system used by the Canadian government to manage applications for permanent residency from skilled workers who want to move to Canada. The system uses a points-based system called the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) to evaluate applicants based on their age, education, language proficiency, work experience, and other factors. To be eligible, an applicant must first meet the eligibility requirements of one of the immigration programs.

Candidates in the pool are ranked based on their CRS score, and the highest-scoring candidates are invited to apply for permanent residency through periodic draws. The process is competitive, but Express Entry is designed to be a fast and efficient way for skilled workers to apply for permanent residency in Canada, with most applications processed within six months. Express Entry is a valuable tool for skilled workers who want to move to Canada and contribute to the country’s economy and society.

Now, of course, if you’re interested in any of the pathways above then you must have doubts regarding –

Application Guidelines
Eligibility Requirements
Processing Fee
Document Checklist

Feel free to call us or email us at [email protected]

Share this post: